Seniors and Arthritis in Sun City CA
There are many seniors in Sun City with Arthritis. There are 50 million American with arthritis, and it is still a misunderstood disease. There are many non-profit organizations that give lots of great information. We have searched several and give just a small summary of what we believe may be helpful to you if you are suffering from Arthritis and living in Sun City.
Our hope for our Seniors who reside in Assisted Living Homes, is that we can shed some light on Arthritis and how to help improve your quality of life while living with Arthritis. We desire to help our seniors manage the pain. There are a few suggestions, which an help seniors cope with the pain. We have outlined a few.
- Distraction – By taking one’s mind off the pain by doing other things, like watching TV, going out to a gathering with friends, listening to music or visiting relatives can help manage the pain.
- Relaxation techniques – stress can make matter worst. Try to reduce your stress. Get your muscles to relax.
- Physical therapy – any activity that can improve blood and oxygen flow to muscles can help to reduce pain.
- Electrical nerve stimulation – there a small machines that send low-voltage electrical currents through the skin via electrodes placed near the area of pain to stimulate nerves and send good signals to your brain, and interfere with the pain awareness.
- Heat and/or Cold – try both heat and cold to relax the muscles . Cold can help numb the pain. Heat can help circulation. Either one can help interrupt the pain.
- Support Groups – this can help your senior feel less alone and share coping strategies.
- Pain treatment centers – there are clinic or facilities that specialize in pain treatment and use the latest treatments. The American Chronic Pain Association has tips on finding the right pain treatment center.
- Exercise – releases endorphins which can enhance a self of well-being, improves blood and oxygen flow to muscles and helps them relax and can reduce pain.
- Stress Management – interrupts the pain cycle, as stress leads to muscles tensing, which causes more pain. Reduce your stress.
- Proper nutrition – getting the proper nutrition, enables one’s body to cope with anything, including pain.
- Getting enough sleep – people who don’t get enough sleep may get tense, thus increasing the pain. So get more sleep.
- Yoga – can help relax muscles. But caution must be used. Don’t aggravate any muscles.
- Tai chi – is a series of gentle movements which focuses on movements and breathing. producing a state of relaxation and calm. This can reduce stress and pain.
- Acupuncture – is a technique where thin tiny needles are inserted into specific points in the body to get energy flowing correctly and promote self-healing. This is done by a professional acupuncturist
One of the better websites we found was the Arthritis Foundation. Org. You may want to check it out. They have scheduled a few Walks in Los Angeles and Inland Empire area.