Exercise Tips for Seniors
Senior Care Homes encourage exercise and have exercise tips for seniors. As you know getting to be over the age of 50 you start to experience more stiffness or you may find out that you have arthritis or diabetes. You may also start to notice that your muscle tone is not what it use to be. If you do not stay active you may find your body getting more out of shape. Staying active is the best way to stay flexible and healthy as we get older. We have listed a few tips you may want to keep in mind as you age as a senior.
Tips for Seniors in Sun City California
1. Low impact exercises to minimize stress on the joints for knees, hips, elbows and ankles. Jogging or running is a high impact exercise, you may want to do more walking instead. In Sun City we have lots of great walking. The neighborhood is quiet and there are concrete sidewalks available for walking.
2. Stretching is low-impact exercise. Stretching improves balance and flexibility as well as “Yoga Moves” are also a good idea for seniors.
3. Strength training is a great way to build muscle tone. You don’t have to lift heavy weights. Try “Resistance Bands,” while sitting in a chair you can increase arm strength and flexibility by using resistance bands. You can also strengthen your legs by using those bands with your legs.
4. Aerobic dancing is also a good way to get great exercise. You can work out with a DVD or join a class at our local senior centers located in Sun City and Menifee.
5. Water exercise is another way to get exercise. In Sun City we have a Community Center for the homeowners. Pool swimming is available for registered guests. Pool swimming is great for low impact exercise, and the water cushions the joints and makes movements smooth. If you have arthritis, swimming is the best form of exercise, even walking in the swimming pool is a great work out for seniors.
If you are opening an assisted living facility. You need a website. Use the Contact Form on the Contact page to reach Cory George Website Developer.
Seniors and Arthritis in Sun City CA
There are many seniors in Sun City with Arthritis. There are 50 million American with arthritis, and it is still a misunderstood disease. There are many non-profit organizations that give lots of great information. We have searched several and give just a small summary of what we believe may be helpful to you if you are suffering from Arthritis and living in Sun City.
Our hope for our Seniors who reside in Assisted Living Homes, is that we can shed some light on Arthritis and how to help improve your quality of life while living with Arthritis. We desire to help our seniors manage the pain. There are a few suggestions, which an help seniors cope with the pain. We have outlined a few.
- Distraction – By taking one’s mind off the pain by doing other things, like watching TV, going out to a gathering with friends, listening to music or visiting relatives can help manage the pain.
- Relaxation techniques – stress can make matter worst. Try to reduce your stress. Get your muscles to relax.
- Physical therapy – any activity that can improve blood and oxygen flow to muscles can help to reduce pain.
- Electrical nerve stimulation – there a small machines that send low-voltage electrical currents through the skin via electrodes placed near the area of pain to stimulate nerves and send good signals to your brain, and interfere with the pain awareness.
- Heat and/or Cold – try both heat and cold to relax the muscles . Cold can help numb the pain. Heat can help circulation. Either one can help interrupt the pain.
- Support Groups – this can help your senior feel less alone and share coping strategies.
- Pain treatment centers – there are clinic or facilities that specialize in pain treatment and use the latest treatments. The American Chronic Pain Association has tips on finding the right pain treatment center.
- Exercise – releases endorphins which can enhance a self of well-being, improves blood and oxygen flow to muscles and helps them relax and can reduce pain.
- Stress Management – interrupts the pain cycle, as stress leads to muscles tensing, which causes more pain. Reduce your stress.
- Proper nutrition – getting the proper nutrition, enables one’s body to cope with anything, including pain.
- Getting enough sleep – people who don’t get enough sleep may get tense, thus increasing the pain. So get more sleep.
- Yoga – can help relax muscles. But caution must be used. Don’t aggravate any muscles.
- Tai chi – is a series of gentle movements which focuses on movements and breathing. producing a state of relaxation and calm. This can reduce stress and pain.
- Acupuncture – is a technique where thin tiny needles are inserted into specific points in the body to get energy flowing correctly and promote self-healing. This is done by a professional acupuncturist
One of the better websites we found was the Arthritis Foundation. Org. You may want to check it out. They have scheduled a few Walks in Los Angeles and Inland Empire area.